Hunting in Spain: Everything You Need to Know
Diversity of Species:
Ibex aren’t the only thing to hunt hunt in Spain. Red stag, fallow deer, wolves and wild boar are just a few among the many species of critters in Spain. This country is among the few that has such a high volume of diverse species.
You have options when it comes to booking a hunting trip in Spain. You can go directly through a Spanish hunting agency or you can go through a U.S. outfitter/hunt consultant. The benefits to going through the U.S. is that they can help the travel process. Outfitters can make sure you have all the important documents that you need in order to hunt in Spain. Additionally, they typically do not cost any extra than if you were to go directly through a Spanish agency. It is recommended that you go through an Outfitter to book your Spanish ibex hunt.
International hunting documents:
- Licenses: There are 17 regions in Spain. For each region you plan on hunting, you need a license for each region.
- Insurance:You must have compulsory license.
- Travel Insurance: This is super necessary if everything goes south, travel insurance will cover any medical bills or loss of personal items.
- Gun permit: You need a National Gun Permit
- If using the stalking method these additional documents are necessary:
- Hunting Seal: each region has a hunting seal, for each region you are hunting on you will need a hunting seal for that region
- Permission of Principal of the Hunting Ground: This must be signed, dated and in your pocket at all times.
Traveling with Guns:
You have the choice to travel with the weapon you intend on hunting with or to rent one. The ease of renting a firearm in country can be worth it. Sometimes baggage can get lost in translation when there are many plane transfers before the destination. Additionally, if you plan on doing a tour, it makes traveling less of a hassle.
Trophy fees are based on the animal size. So depending on your budget choose wisely.
Spain is a beautiful country to visit. Even if you didn’t hunt the world renowned Ibex, the cultural experience is worth its weight in gold. The unique thing about hunting in Spain is that you most likely get to stay in the small villages.
Have questions about our hunts in Spain? Just ask!